10 January 2012

Why clamber to work there?

Being the kinda up to date, cutting edge, keep on top of everything dynamo, I was reading yesterday's Ess See Em Pee and saw this snippet:

Now it is a little fuzzy, but states a survey found average pay for Investment banking and Fund management executives was up 15% at 890k HKD per year. Obviously they'll all have a bonus on top.

All the glamour and supposed wealth for this, as an average? Why would graduates flock to these positions? I am fairly sure middle to senior IT professionals, or lawyers, or any other corporate office function is similar if not higher. And a lot more rewarding I would imagine (but then I cannot imagine anything more soul destroying than the looking after of money - too much Dickens as a teenager has robbed me of that career*).

Surely, factoring in the masses some of them make, that would drag up the average considerably? If that's the case there are a lot of averagely paid people managing our money. Do they get to practice on the MPF funds?

Don't get me wrong here - 890k HKD is a very substantial wage and people on that sort of money are lucky to have it - I just thought it would be more.

I feel like I am missing something here. Answers on a postcard to the usual address please.

*That is not a euphemism

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like comments thanks.